Last night The Academy of International Extended Reality (AIXR) held its fifth annual VR Awards, with the 2021 event taking place virtually inside AltspaceVR for the first time. The VR spectacle – which you could also watch via Youtube and Twitch – celebrated virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) technology across 12 categories, with the winners including tabletop multiplayer Demeo and interactive film Paper Birds.
Ahead of the prestigious event, the VR Awards 2021 saw over 128 international nominations, 98 finalists judged by XR experts and almost 10,000 public votes cast in the VR Social Influencer of the Year, and VR Game of the Year categories. Resolution Games took home the coveted VR Game of the Year for Demeo, which is no surprise considering VRFocus’ review found the title excelled as a co-op, turn-based strategy experience.
VR Film of the Year went to 3DAR’s enchanting Paper Birds and VR Experience of the Year was awarded to Madrid Noir by ATLAS V & NO GHOST, two excellent VR titles. One of the big surprises of the night came from the VR Hardware of the Year, with HP Reverb G2 Omnicept Edition enterprise headset taking home the honours.
“Last night, we were delighted to have been able to celebrate the year’s achievements within the Metaverse once more and through our completely bespoke 5th-anniversary world-hop experience – the amazing team here have created a one-of-a-kind virtual journey through the history of the VR Awards and the founders, an event like this is truly a world-first for an awards ceremony,” said Daniel Colaianni, AIXR CEO in a statement. “Our guests were transported into 5 distinctly designed worlds that represent the 5 years that the VR Awards have been recognising VR excellence all across the globe.”
VR Awards 2021 Winners
- VR Film of the Year – 3DAR – Paper Birds
- VR Social Influencer – ThrillSeeker
- VR Hardware of the Year – HP – HP Reverb G2 Omnicept Edition
- VR Game of the Year – Resolution Games – Demeo
- VR Experience of the Year – ATLAS V & NO GHOST – Madrid Noir
- VR Marketing of the Year – Geometry Ogilvy Japan – Shibuya Virtual Halloween
- Rising VR Company of the Year: triple A code
- Innovative VR Company of the Year – Virtualware
- VR Education and Training of the Year – NORCAT – Vale VR
- VR Healthcare of the Year – Osso VR – Osso VR – Cinematic VR Surgical Training Platform
- Out-of-home VR Entertainment of the Year – Figment Productions Ltd.- Current, Rising
- VR Social Impact Award – Accenture – AVEnueS – Race Equity in Child Welfare
- VR Enterprise Solution of the Year – Masters of Pie – Hyperbat – World’s First VR Design Review over 5G
- VR Lifetime Achievement Award by Accenture – Tom Furness
And that’s it for another year, did you watch and enjoy the show? For all the latest XR news, keep reading VRFocus.
Source: Read Full Article